Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Ellen Lee does Facebook make us lonely? Ellen Lee-001

As I am reading the article "Is Facebook Making us Lonely" I found it quite riviting the arguments the author made. One aspect of the article that really stood out to me was this quote, "Over the past three decades, technology has delivered to us a world in which we need not be out of contact for a fraction of a moment." I had never really thought about the impact that social media and the internet have bestowed upon us and it really is life changing.

I also felt a connection with the reading that says we are connected but only on the surface level. I have noticed that our generation is surrounded by fear of speaking face-to-face with another person. This comes into play even with ordering food or buying something from the internet. In today's society it is apparent that people our age will order things online more than going into the actual establishment to try and circumvent all unwanted communication that might stand in the way.

The article also stated that the single-child family has increased since earlier in the century. I do not necessarily believe this is because of social media, but the choices younger generations have made about having children and the deals with teen pregnancy. I believe social media sites, such as Facebook, have had an impending impact on our society, but i do not believe it to be the result of decreasing population.

I agree with the claim the article makes about gathering less and interacting less. I think because of social media our physical interactions have decreased and it is kind of a scary thought. The idea that social media is never going to escape us and that our children will be in the same situation we are, if not worst. Facebook has even become a medium for meeting with groups instead of meeting face-to-face at a selected location.  I hope that these statistics will change but how things are going now it looks as though our situation will stay the same for a very long time.



No comments:

Post a Comment