Monday, January 28, 2013

Connection is not the same thing as a bond

In the article "Is Facebook Making Us Lonely" it had a lot of really good arguments. What stood out most to me was when Stephen Marche says, "A connection is not the same thing as a bond..." That is a very viable and bold statement. I realized that I have a lot of connections on Facebook and Twitter, but only a percentage of those I have actual bonds with. Those bonds are only those whom I have hung out with and shared actual memories with outside of social media; For example, sports, parties, shared classes, common events, family, or friends before Facebook. Most of the other people I share little to no bonds and only know them due to being "friends on Facebook" and happen to catch their latest update.

The people I do bonds with, Facebook helps me maintain and better those relationships. Due to distance, schedules, and other obstacles Facebook helps to share information to a mass amount of your friends that normally would take a long time to call every single time you wanted to tell them. If you project something to a mass amount of people, the people you have bonds with will notice, comment, or even just be reminded that you need to catch up soon. The others who you do not have a bond with will either ignore it, de-friend you, or not even see it. When you are too busy to remember about someone, not because you don't care, but because you truly don't have to brain function to remember every single one of your friends, Facebook is there to remind you and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment