Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Thoughts on the Class


            

When I found out I had to take this class to complete my major curriculum, I was pretty intrigued. Last semester I took Communications 360 which is Communication Theory. One of the theories we studied was called Semiotics which is the study of signs and the sign processes. Semiotics is actually quite similar to what an artifact is and it will be interesting to see how the two connect in future classes. Last week when we talked about artifacts, it reminded me of this theory. I am excited that this class will expand on that theory through indexical meaning, iconic meaning and symbolic meaning. Although I find the three to be pretty similar, I think I will be able to get the hang of it once we continue on in the class with more examples. Communication Theory was one of my favorite classes I have taken at Ball State. It was very challenging and sometimes hard to understand, but I thought it was so interesting to see the reasons why people think, say or do what they do. Popular culture will definitely help me to expand my knowledge on communication theory and understand the world of popular culture a little better.  So far, the best video examples that have given me an insight to popular culture and the thought behind it are the segments with the lady talking about how men can sometimes be really useless. Without this class, I never would have looked at those commercials in that way. It was so interesting to see another side of a commercial I would normally just ignore.

No comments:

Post a Comment